Monday, July 29, 2013

Giving Back - Goal # 5

I am so excited to start working towards achieving Goal # 5! 

I had a wonderful childhood. I was happy, healthy and blessed with the most loving parents and family a child could ever have. I always had the emotional, financial and physical support of my parents whenever I needed any help or guidance. I know I am very fortunate, and everyday I thank the universe for giving me so much. Because all my life I have been extremely lucky I have always felt the need to give back. I have volunteered in orphanages, refugee shelters, the Ronald McDonald House and participated in many fundraising efforts. However, since I started law school I have not made an effort to volunteer in Kingston, and all year I was bothered by this... until now!

There are kids in my community who are dealing through a lot, and who perhaps don't have anyone to talk to or even play with. I am so excited to begin volunteering at the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada. This is an organization that matches adult volunteers to children needing adult mentoring. Serving as role models, mentors teach by example the importance of giving and giving back, of staying in school, and of having respect for family, peers and community.

I can't wait to meet my "little brother" or "little sister" - hopefully I can help him or her feel as strong, confident and happy as my family made me feel growing up.

Love,

Maria 

0 comments:

Post a Comment